Latest news: Evidence Based Medicine provides a commentary on the STOP-HF programme
The BMJ's Evidence-Based Medicine systematically searches a wide range of international medical journals applying strict criteria for the validity of research. Recently, experts critically appraised the STOP-HF study, supported by the Heartbeat Trust. To read the report, click here
Prevention of Heart Failure biomarker driven prevention of heart failure. The PONTIAC trial is published in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology this October.
The PONTIAC study follows on from the larger STOP-HF study focusing on patients with diabetes. This study sought to assess the primary preventive effect of cardioprotective therapy in high-risk patients with diabetes selected by N-terminal pro–B-type natriuretic peptide (NT-proBNP). After 12 months there was a significant difference between the number of patients treated with cardioprotective therapies. Also, this was an effective and safe intervention for the primary prevention of cardiac events for diabetic patients pre-selected using NT-proBNP.
The PONTIAC study, along with the STOP-HF study, provides important evidence that prevention of heart failure is an attainable goal.
The Heartbeat Trust is helping to lead the way in prevention of heart disease
To date there have been more than 70 peer reviewed publications from the unit. In addition, unit personnel have made in excess of 150 presentations at national and international meetings. To find out more about our research, click here
Our latest news
- March 2013. The STOP-HF study is a major research programme focused on prevention of heart failure - theheart.org
- July 2013. The STOP-HF study is published in the Journal of the American Medical Association - see press release
- July 2013. Adrian Hernandez, MD, Duke University, talks about the implications of the STOP-HF trial in JAMA - see report
- August 2013. Gary S. Francis, MD, University of Minnesota, talks about Heart Failure with Preserved Ejection Fraction
- September 2013. Inaugural Heartbeat Trust Annual Public Meeting - the STOP-HF programme and future initiatives. To view a quick video of the evening, click here
- October 2013. Momentum grows for prevention of heart failure as the PONTIAC trial is published in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology. See commentary here
- January 2014. Read the BMJ Evidence Based Medicine review of the STOP-HF study here
Crofton Cardiac Centre, 3 Crofton Terrace, Dun Laoghaire, Co Dublin, Ireland | +353 1 2304629